Thursday, August 19, 2010

To pack for the trip of a lifetime


Funny how time flies. For me, it went from toying around with the idea of actually competing in Cannonball last summer, to "Oh my God! I'm really doing this. And, it's less than a month away!"

It seemed like I had been waiting so long for my cross country adventure to start. It felt like it was so distant. That it was some abstract idea. So, why all the sudden did the reality of leaving hit me like a scooter through a brick wall? I think for a few reasons.


Firstly, my SYM RV250 is prepped and ready to go. I have my Givi topcase mounted and have tested it out bu seeing just how much stuff I can cram into it. It turns out, quite a bit. I also got one of Givi's spiffy GPS holders that perches perfectly between my handle bars. Just underneath that, I placed a camel back back pack. It should be a good spot for me to keep my camera at hand while I'm scootin' through checkpoints along the route. Plus, I can squirrel away some snacks!

For me though, the icing on the cake was seeing my custom decals for the first time. Thanks to Andrew down at The Scoot Shop, my scooter now has tentacles on it! (Octopi are kinda my thing) It also states clearly "Cannonball 2010". Needless to say, when I laid eyes on the finished product the vision of my epic journey was all the more clear. "I am riding this scoot across the country and back"!


It's hard to express the overwhelming feeling of excitement. Even as I sit here just typing about it I have big time butterflies in my belly (in a good way). So, as I get ready to migrate up north(I'm going to visit some friends along the way) trailering to northern Idaho before scootin' to Vancouver to attend the Olympibad Rally before the main event. I'm trying to think of last minute details. I'm packing for a trip of a lifetime!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Cynthia. Found your blog on a Google search and now have it on rss for updates. Can't wait to follow along as your journey moves forward- fun! Sending good vibrations your way...... Who knows maybe I'll even get to be a Cannonballer some day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog. Late to the party as usual. Can't wait to see you Bo!
    -Dirty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bo
    Speedy here :)- You have a safe & awesome ride! Can't wait till ya get back. I'll have a beer waiting for ya :)

    ReplyDelete